Wednesday 7 November 2007

Getting there

Knitting

I have all but finished Brenda's cardigan. The main pieces are all complete, pressed, gathered and sewn together (or should I say "all are safely gathered in"?), and I'm just working on the front band now - about three feet of 6 stitches per row garter stitch.

As a result I went onto You Write On, so that I could read and knit at the same time.

Writing

For those of you who don't know, "you write on" (see links) is an arts council funded website. People can put on chapters of work in progress, for others to read and critique. Thus far, I've looked at four pieces, and so when I launch Ursula onto the unsuspecting world, four people can read it, and tell me what they think. (I'm not sure I want to know - that's the scary part, after all).

It's a good scheme. I must confess, I wasn't keen on the piece I read tonight. Partly not my sort of stuff, but also a classic mistake of chapter one being full of dull exposition (with a bit of hook, so not all bad), and chapter two being where the story actually starts. The author can certainly write, but I'm not sure how well they can self-edit. It's the hardest part, and I'm very grateful for my writing girls, who help me with all of that stuff.

Life

Tired today - because of a late night writing group yesterday. Off for bath and bed in a moment.
Came to a conclusion today that I'd like Christmas put back a month - I haven't got time for it at the end of December!

No comments: